How To Stay Healthy in 2022
Published by Dr. Venn-Watson
None of us makes a goal to become unhealthy, but year after year of poor lifestyle choices can sneak up on us and leave us overweight, tired, and in need of change. If that sounds a little familiar, don’t worry. You’re not alone.
Adopting a healthier lifestyle can be a challenge, but it’s one your health care provider will be happy to see you take head-on. Let’s cover what’s making you unhealthy, what you can do to improve your wellness right now, and how to help support the healthy lifestyle you want.
What’s Making Us Unhealthy?
These conditions make up a condition called metabolic syndrome.
- Unhealthy cholesterol. There are two types of cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and high-density lipoprotein (HDL). LDL is considered bad cholesterol, and higher levels of this can increase your risk of heart disease.
- High blood pressure. Unhealthy blood pressure places a strain on your heart and increases its workload. Over time, the excess effort damages your heart, arteries, and blood vessels.
- Unhealthy blood glucose levels. Insulin resistance happens when too much glucose is in your blood, and your body doesn’t respond well to insulin in order to move the glucose out of your blood. This condition can lead to type 2 diabetes.
- Obesity. Weight gain that goes unchecked can lead to obesity. Certain types of weight gain can place you at a higher risk of developing illnesses like cardiovascular disease.
These conditions can take a toll on your health, even affecting your well-being. Adopting a healthy lifestyle can help you improve your health, enjoy the benefits of healthy weight loss, and feel better daily.
How To Be Healthier in 2022
The easiest way to stay healthy is to make smart, healthy choices. It’s not rocket science, but with our fast-paced lives, it can be challenging. Here, we make it easy to learn how to protect your health.
It can seem overwhelming to eat a healthy diet, but it’s possible if you learn a few simple rules.
- Eat whole foods. Foods close to how they were in nature have the important vitamins, minerals, and fibers you need to fuel your body. Processed foods (that are usually prepackaged) can hide trans fats, added sugar, and sodium that are not healthy for your body.
- Eat your veggies. Vegetables are home to vitamins, minerals, fiber, and nutrients you need for every vital system in your body. Raw vegetables and vegetables prepared in healthier oils like olive oil can help support immune health.
- Choose whole grains. Skip the cereal aisle and look for heart-healthy whole grains packed with fiber. Cereals can contain massive amounts of hidden sugars.
Healthy food doesn’t have to be boring or take a long time to prepare. You can eat healthfully by making better choices, one meal at a time.
Movement is essential for keeping your body thriving. It releases endorphins to help promote your mental health, maintain your weight, and support your heart health. You need a combination of resistance training and cardio exercise to maintain your overall health.
Bodyweight exercises help you build strong bones and keep muscles conditioned, while cardio helps maintain your cardiovascular system.
Get Enough Sleep
Sleep is when your body does most of its essential reparative work. To get quality sleep, you need enough hours of sleep on a nightly, consistent basis. Most people will need between 7-9 hours of sleep, depending on activity level and age.
Maintain a Healthy Weight
One of the foundations of good health is maintaining a healthy weight. Once you gain weight, it’s harder for you to lose it, and physical health declines when you are overweight. Excess weight, especially around the middle, is directly linked to an increased risk of heart disease.
Get Regular Checkups
If you haven’t been to see your primary care physician in a few years, make an appointment. Getting routine lab work and a yearly physical are keys to healthy living.
These tips can help you lead a healthy lifestyle that can sustain your health for years to come. Watching your diet, getting enough sleep, exercising, and getting regular check-ups are healthy habits to have.
Upgrade Your Fatty Acid Supplement
Omega-3 fatty acid supplements are wildly popular because research has shown that they can help maintain wellness in adults.
For all their popularity, there are a few important facts that new research has revealed.
- Omega-3s are poly-unstable fatty acids, which means their molecules have multiple double bonds that cause them to be fragile and weak.
- They are subject to oxidation. Just like vegetable oil becomes rancid in your pantry, omega-3s can become rancid when exposed to oxygen. Most of the fish oil supplements you find on store shelves are oxidized (rancid) before you even buy them.
- Oxidized omega-3s are toxic to your cells in high quantities, and can even cause cell death. This is why vitamin E is often found inside fish oil supplements. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps prevent oxidation.
These reasons make taking omega-3 supplements less than ideal, and when you consider the almost unavoidable fish burps that fish oil supplements offer, there’s reason to find a better solution.
C15:0 Compared to Omega-3
Save your cells (and your health) with a better, sturdier, and more effective fatty acid.* Pentadecanoic acid, also known as C15:0, is an odd-chain, saturated fatty acid that has been found to be essential for our bodies to function properly.
C15:0 was compared to omega-3, and was found to be better, broader, and safer than even the highest quality omega-3 EPA supplement.*
- We all want a better way to support our immune system. C15:0 has more than 26 clinically relevant benefits that omega-3 doesn’t have. Among them are immune calming and balancing effects.*
- Out of 12 different types of cells studied, C15:0 helped to support all 12.* Omega-3 only supported four safely. The types of cells C15:0 helped were relevant to immune, gut, heart, joint, skin, red blood cell, and lung health.*
- Omega-3 becomes toxic to cells at high levels due to oxidation. In fact, lung and blood vessel cells were among those injured by EPA. C15:0 is safe for all 12 types of cells, making it a safer option even at higher doses (as an added benefit, the amount of C15:0 needed to provide beneficial effects is significantly lower than the standard omega-3 supplement).*
Recent data suggests that C15:0 can help promote long-term health and wellness better than even the purest omega-3 EPA supplement.*
Even better news, there’s zero fishy aftertaste.
How To Get C15:0 in Your Body
Found in trace amounts in whole-fat dairy products, some fish, and a few plants, maintaining enough C15:0 in your body can be difficult through diet alone. Increasing your whole-fat dairy consumption would mean consuming additional calories, sugars, and more of the ‘bad’ even-chain saturated fats, which wouldn’t equate to healthier living. Further, a lot of people are moving away from dairy altogether and toward a plant-forward diet, which are deficient in C15:0.
A solution? Fatty15.
Fatty15: The Easy Way To Stay Healthier*
Fatty15 is a breakthrough supplement born from scientific discovery, containing C15:0 in its most pure form: FA15™. This pure-powder, vegan-friendly, award-winning ingredient is more bioavailable than C15:0 found in food products, and delivers all the benefits of pentadecanoic acid without the added calories, sugars, and unhealthy fats.
Just one small capsule of 100mg daily is needed to elevate your circulating levels of C15:0 to experience the benefits of C15:0.
In addition to the longer-term benefits to blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose and insulin associated with taking this essential fatty acid, two out of three people report near-term health benefits in just six weeks, including*:
- Deeper sleep
- Calmer mood
- Less snacking between meals
Protect Your Health, Year After Year
In addition to physical activity, healthy eating, and taking care of your mental health, it’s a good idea to consider all the different ways you can help support your health.
This year and every year, we have another opportunity to take care of our bodies and improve the choices that impact our health. As we approach each new day, finding ways to stay healthy and make better lifestyle decisions can become our way of life.
When you’re ready to maintain your health, see what changes you can make for better wellness overall.
For more helpful articles to guide you in your health and wellness journey, explore the fatty15 blog here!
Broader and safer clinically-relevant activities of pentadecanoic acid compared to omega-3: Evaluation of an emerging essential fatty acid across twelve primary human cell-based disease systems | PLOS ONE
Eric Venn-Watson M.D.
Senior Scientist, Co-Founder
Eric is a physician, U.S. Navy veteran, and Co-founder and COO of Seraphina Therapeutics. Eric served over 25 years as a Navy and Marine Corps physician, working with the special forces community to improve their health and fitness. Seraphina Therapeutics is a health and wellness company dedicated to advancing global health through the discovery of essential fatty acids and micronutrient therapeutics.
You May Also Like...
Is Lifting Weights Good for Your Heart?
The treadmill and elliptical are everyone’s gym go-to. When it’s time to lose a few pounds, these machines are arguably the most popular. This explains why it’s so hard to find an available treadmill in your gym in January, when...
Five Tips To Strengthen a Weak Heart
No one wants to think they don’t have a strong heart, but certain health conditions can cause our heart to work harder and, over time, become weaker. Protecting our heart health is important, and if you’ve been diagnosed with a...